Pages

Saturday 6 October 2012

Active Learning - Infinite Scrabble



Here's another one I've just recently started using again and I really like it for Key Stage 4.

This one is really simple and takes next to no preparation, another reason that I love it!

Give out a grid like the one above to pairs or trios of pupils, depending on how they're sat. The grid should be empty apart from random number in some of the squares, just like the one above. Pupils play against each other in a scrabble-like game.

Allocate a topic (this week mine have been descriptions and holidays-not at the same time, combined with connectives/opinions) and it works like this; pupil 1 starts in the middle of the square by writing a word in the TL, pupil 2 then writes another word that has to connect in some way to the first word and so on. Points are scored when a word goes through one of the squares with a number in it and that square can earn points every time a word goes through it.  You can make is as easy or hard as you want by allowing words horizontally, vertically, diagonally and sometimes backwards. I then had double point scores for letters that had accents on. The games could have lasted the whole lesson, if I'd allowed it!

I didn't know how competitive my pupils could get!

My next task is to work out how it can be less wasteful on paper, maybe laminate grids and use mini whiteboard pens...

Little update on how I'm using Infinite Scrabble to ensure more engagement (although there's already lots there!). I give rewards not only to the winner in each pair / trio and have also started to reward the highest scoring team a reward as well, so not only are they playing against each other but also against the others in the class. Who know that there could be scores of over 100! I also no longer need to explain, just hand out and the buzz starts straights away.

7 comments:

  1. Love it! Will start using with my Y10s immediately! Thanks for such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Glad you found it useful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superstar! You have just solved my problem of "what to do with Y6 when they have finished their maps"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is brilliant! Will certainly use it with my year 10 and 11

    ReplyDelete
  5. my Yr 10 students loved the scrabble activity - a hit! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you found it and that you found it useful :)

    ReplyDelete