Pages

Friday 31 October 2008

Thinking outside the classroom box with Chris Fuller

My first workshop at the IOW Conference was "Thinking outside the classroom box" run by Chris Fuller. I must admit that I kind of gate-crashed this session, as I arrived much earlier than I expected having got on the Red Jet fast ferry rather than the slower car ferry. I got talking to someone who was going to his session and decided to tag along, not expecting to learn much new, as I blog myself. However, I went along to meet the man who left an amusing comment on here once and was certainly proved wrong about not expecting to learn anything new!
Chris runs the Edgehill College Spanish Blog and it's fab. He gave some great examples of how he has used the blog with pupils. I have already used my other blog with my pupils but nowhere near on the scale that Chris uses his. In particular, I loved the idea of getting the kids to write descriptions of themselves (without adding names), paste them into the blog and get the class to guess who was being described, adding their guesses via the comments...watch out for that idea being used when I get onto that topic with my Year 7s later this term! He also spoke about how he promoted the blog around school and made me think about how I could market mine a bit better around my school. I know that some pupils do visit and comment frequently but I'd like more to visit and get as many pupils as possible visiting and being enriched (can you say that?). So, although I sometimes struggle to talk myself up, I will be launching a huge advertising campaign around the school after half-term.
Chris also spoke about Podcasting and Moblogging using Gabcast and ShowZu both of which I'm hoping to try out with my pupils in the near future.
Next, he spoke about using mobile phones in language learning. I am really keen to get my pupils using their mobiles but have put of having the discussion with my Headteacher as I knew what the answer would be! It didn't help that a colleague, who saw Chris speak earlier in the year (I believe) went straight in to talk about pupils using them as soon as he got back to school and was (naturally) turned down. However, I'm considering the financial angle and thinking of going for the "look how much money we could save as a school if pupils used their phones instead of video recorders, voice recorders etc...". Money often talks louder than anthing else.
So, my first session of the conference was fascinating and I can thoroughly recommend going to hear Chris speak if you get the opportunity. He's really easy to listen too and has great examples of how he's using the technology he's talking about with his pupils...something that's worth it's weight in gold, in my opinion. Thank you, Chris!!!

6 comments:

  1. One day I will hear the lovely Mr F speak but as I still haven't - and I missed him at the Language Show today, thanks for the summary ;o)
    Lisaxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a great post, Helena. I attended Chris' session and I really enjoyed it too. I will see what else I can say about it...

    Isabelle
    http://isabellejones.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lisa and Isabelle...Lisa, you really must hear him, he' great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One day I will hear the lovely Mr F speak but as I still haven't - and I missed him at the Language Show today, thanks for the summary ;o)Lisaxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a great post, Helena. I attended Chris' session and I really enjoyed it too. I will see what else I can say about it...Isabellehttp://isabellejones.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Lisa and Isabelle...Lisa, you really must hear him, he' great!

    ReplyDelete