Pages

Friday 15 February 2008

New Key Stage 3 Curriculum

We had an LEA CPD Day today, part of which was dedicated to introducing us to the new KS3 Curriculum for September. I'd hear whisperings about it - generally negative, it must be said! However, having had it presented properly I must say that I'm buzzing with excitement. How great to be able to do topic-based, cross-curricular projects, without the constraints of a prescriptive Programme of Study! It's what I've wanted to be able to do most of my career, I think :o)
My friend and I couldn't stop with our ideas of topic based projects that could have cross-curricular links. Just one of ideas was a topic of (say) lifestyles...on a basic level this could include stuff aobut houses etc... but then Daily Routine could involve links with Geography to talk about the routine of a child in the 3rd World (also, in our school's case link in with our Lesotho Link that we have) and then to work in that past tense it could also be linked with History to discuss lifestyles of the Victorians (for example). They could have a "portfolio" of work..something written, something spoken etc... and Assessment opportunities built in, together with usual AfL and Thinking Skills activities...but how much more motivating for out pupils, instead of working through the text book!!!
I must admit that I'm a little concerned that other colleagues might not be as enthusiastic but I really feel that this is an amazing opportunity and we need to be sure that we don't let it slip away from us or be watered down in someway!My goodness, the ideas keep flowing but I'm going to keep them to myself (don't want to give away all my good ideas...only joking)...I don't want to get carried away and then be disappointed!
Oh, I also hear that there was a wonderful workshop on eTwinning given by someone called Helena Butterfield...can't imagine it myself somehow (she sounds rubbish to me!). All information and links on my Langwitch Wiki in the Teacher's Corner :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment