Pages

Sunday 1 June 2008

The Lake District

As well as having visited the Netherlands 2 weeks ago (nearly), I also spent last week in the Lake District with my family. By "my family" I mean Graeme, Alice and Dan - obviously - then my sister, her husband and 2 children (aged 4 and 2), my mum and dad and my grandma (aged 90). Luckily we weren't all in the same accommodation!! Each Whit Week my mum hires 3 static caravans and we all troop off to the Lakes. This year we stayed near Ambleside on Lake Windermere on a lovely caravan site call the "White Cross Bay". It had a swimming pool, so because Alice is a mermaid, we spent several hours each day in the pool. We also took in Lake Coniston, Hawkshead (Graeme believes that all roads in that part of the Lakes lead there!), the Aquarium of the Lake District near Newby Bridge at the bottom of Windermere, Hawkshead, Keswick, Castlerigg Stone Circle, Ambleside, Pooley Bridge and Grasmere. Probably a lot more too! The kids didn't enjoy walking too much, although we did manage to coax them on 2 walks, one to Grasmere from the car-park near Rydal Water and one the the cairn on the walk between Pooley Bridge and Howtown (they whined all the way but no-one got a carry!!). The kids also loved being able to play with their cousins everyday, since normally they're way down in Eastbourne and we're way up here in Stockton.
We had a lovely week with very little rain and fairly mild nights (although heating in the caravan really helped) and I didn't miss blogging or twittering at all - couldn't even get a signal on my mobile most of the time! Back to the grind now, though - heyho!

No comments:

Post a Comment